What is Dimension?
A Dimension is the term used to define an analysis category. Dimensions are used to group, or categorize, data for the purpose of analysis. Dimensions consist of Dimension Values. A Dimension Value is a “subcategory” or a “tag” attached to data to conduct meaningful analysis. A Dimension can consist of any amount of Dimension Values.
There are two principle types of Dimensions in NAV: Shortcut and Global. Shortcut Dimensions are analysis categories which facilitate financial, inventory, production, and other analyses. Shortcut Dimensions can be assigned directly to journal, sales, or purchase lines; they can also be assigned to master data (e.g. a Customer, a Vendor, an Item, etc.). A company can create an unlimited quantity of Shortcut Dimensions. Certainly Dynamics NAV will only allow a 4 number of Dimensions (i.e., only 4 Shortcut Dimensions can be used per Analysis View )
Global Dimensions are the most important Dynamics NAV Dimensions for a company. The maximum amount of Global Dimensions is 2. Global Dimensions can be used in the same way as Shortcut Dimensions. But unlike Shortcut Dimensions, Global Dimensions are located in the same database table as your master records. This means that besides the possibility of using Global Dimensions as a filter on all Account Schedules, Batch Jobs, and reports, Global Dimensions can also be used as a filter on G/L entries. Another unique feature of Global Dimensions is that they can be used as additional fields on purchase and sales document headers.
Creation of Dimensions and its values
Enter Dimensions in Search box and choose related link or navigate to Departments-> Financial Management -> Setup -> Administration -> Dimensions.
To enter the values, click on ‘Dimension Values’ present on Home tab.
What is Dimensional Analysis ?
- Analysis by dimensions is a query tool. The key to using this tool effectively is to use aggressive filtering, especially if you have a large number of items. It can be a very quick way to get information about what may be going on with a single or small group of items. You can also export to Excel and it shows up in a pivot table.
- Analyzing data by dimensions gives you greater insight into your business, so you can evaluate information, such as how well your business is operating, where it is booming and where it is not, and where more resources should be allocated.
- To Do Analysis, first we have to record entries like Journals, Cash payments, Bank payments, Cash Receipts, Bank Receipts for a particular dimension.
- To Record these entries in a particular dimension we have to attach that particular dimension code while posting vouchers like (Journal Voucher, Cash payments, Bank payments, Cash Receipts, Bank Receipts). As you all know how to post all these vouchers which is covered by our teammates in earlier demos. I will show you one sample vouchers posting with dimension
Creating and posting of Bank Payment Voucher
Enter Bank Payment Voucher in Search box and choose related link or navigate to Departments-> Financial Management -> Cash Management -> Bank Payment Voucher.
In the bank payment voucher enter the ‘Posting Date’, ‘Document Type’, ‘Account Type’, ‘Account No.’, ‘Pay’, ‘Debit Amount’, etc. in their respective fields.
Then enter the dimensions for each and every line, to enter click on the line and click on ‘Dimensions’ present on Navigate tab, repeat this for each and every line.
Then verify all the required details are filled correctly.
Click on ‘Post’ button to post the voucher or ‘Post and Print’ to post the voucher and print at the same time.
Analysis by dimensions
To create an analysis by dimension, enter ‘Analysis by Dimensions’ in the search box and choose related link or navigate to Departments -> Financial Management -> Analysis by Dimensions.
To create a new analysis, click on ‘New’, a card is displayed.
- Enter the ‘Code’, ‘Name’, ‘Account Source’, ‘Account Filter’, ‘Data Compression’, ‘Starting Date’ in the General fast tab with respective data.
- Then enter the dimension values for the dimension codes in the respective fields present in the Dimensions fast tab.
- Click on ‘Enable Update on Posting’ to update each and every transaction at the time of posting the transaction.
Click Edit analysis view > Then analysis by dimension page will be appear
Select the Show as Lines & Show as Columns for how to filter the Data.
Click on show matrix. > To View the Analysis by Dimension Matrix Page.
Click on Export to Excel> To Directly Export the data into Excel.